Nothing says summer like bright veggies and fresh ingredients. These Caprese Tarts are super easy and only have FOUR ingredients! We also took the original recipe and added our own fresh summer variations for an entire spread of utter deliciousness. Proof that summer treats don’t have to be complicated!
1 sheet ~ frozen puff pastry
1 pint ~ cherry tomatoes
6-8 oz ~ fresh mozzarella, cubed
1/3 cup ~ fresh basil
salt & pepper, to taste
1 tbsp butter, for brushing
balsamic vinegar for drizzle
We also included:
1 bunch of asparagus
1 cup ~ mushrooms, sliced
1 zucchini sliced
1/2 cup ~ crumbled blue cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Unfold the thawed pastry onto a floured surface and cut into 6 or 8 small squares or rectangles.
- Place the puff pastry squares onto a lightly greased pan and fold the edges inward about 1/2 inch to form a rim. Prick the pastry squares all over with a fork.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until light golden brown.
- Remove from oven and arrange the cherry tomatoes and mozzarella cheese over the pastry squares. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 10-12 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown.
- Remove tarts from oven and top with fresh basil leaves and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
Summer vegetables were too delicious to ignore so we decided to add our own variation by including other bright fresh ingredients. To fancy it up we also combined blue cheese and fig for color and texture and our favorite variations were the fig and the carrots! We also picked up a pack of pre-made mini shells to make a little amuse bouche version.
It’s such an easy recipe to experiment with, we can’t wait to try it out with fall ingredients!
We served our tarts Caprese/Summer Veggie Tarts on our Blonde Cutting Board w/ Painted Handle for a perfect party appetizer.
Recipe from Let’s Dish